Are you a beginner, learning how to use WordPress? Are you looking for where to practice building your website before going live on the internet? Then your in the right place. We’re going to set up wordpress on a local website.
Offline WordPress Editor
Firstly, we’ll assume you already have a local website set up on your computer. See how to set up a local website on your computer.
Now we head over to download the WordPress application from the bitnami website. Then you install the application on your local environment. Which is the main scope of this tutorial.
How to install bitnami WordPress.
- Select the installation language. Then click “Next” to proceed.
- On the resulting component selection screen, select “WordPress”. There is no need to install phpMyAdmin and Varnish (TM) since they’ve already been installed with the XAMPP application. Click “Next” to proceed.
- Select the directory which you want to install the Bitnami WordPress. Click “Next” to proceed.
- Enter your name, email address, WordPress username and WordPress password. These last two values will be needed to log in to the WordPress administration panel in the next step, so note them carefully. Click “Next” to proceed.
- If you are asked for MySQL database details fill in “localhost” as hostname, “root” as username then leave the password field empty.
- Enter a name for your WordPress blog (you can always change it later) and click “Next” to proceed.
- WordPress (and many other applications) can send email notifications on certain events, such as comments on posts. In case you’d like to receive these notifications, check the box to configure mail support and choose whether you’d like email to be sent via your Gmail account or a third-party SMTP server. I’ll advise you to choose Gmail server. Click “Next” to proceed.
- Depending on the options selected on the previous screen, you’ll now be asked to enter either your Gmail username and password, or the credentials and other details for your SMTP server. Enter this information and click “Next” to proceed.
- Choose whether you’d like to read about Bitnami Cloud Hosting and click “Next” to proceed, then “Next” again on the final screen to begin the installation process.
The application will now begin installing to the directory you specified. The process usually takes a few minutes. a status indicator shows you its progress.
Once installation is complete, you will see a message saying installation complete. Check the box to launch the Bitnami WordPress Stack and click “Finish” to complete the installation.
This should launch a new browser window with a welcome screen, as shown below. You can also access this welcome screen by launching your Web browser and entering the URL “http://localhost/wordpress” into the browser address bar.
You can also view the dashboard of your WordPress account but typing “http://localhost/ WordPress/wp-admin” in your address bar. You can omit the “http://” if you want.
Now you have your full WordPress website set up on your computer. You can also test out different themes and plug-ins in your WordPress dashboard and see the results on the main site.
Feel free to leave your comments under this post and don’t forget to follow our social media accounts for more updates on our brief web development tutorials.
Your favorite web developers!