HTML and HTML 5 are actually two parts of the same mark-up language which are both used in displaying contents for the web. HTML 5 is a semantic version of HTML which is now the standard in developing web pages as it provides new tags to improve search engine visibility which makes it stand out from it’s predecessor (HTML 4) which is why I’ll encourage you to learn HTML 5 instead. See more reasons why you should learn html
HTML 5 actually is the latest edition of HTML which introduces alot of new features to make development better. Such new features includes tags like the audio tag, video tag, canvas and svg elements and it replaced basic HTML tags with semantic tags like the “strong” tag which replaced “b” and the div tags were replaced with much more semantic tags like “header”, “footer”,”article”, “section”, “nav” and “aside” tags
What’s new in HTML 5?
As I said earlier, alot of features were included in the HTML 5 upgrade. Such features didn’t just include semantic tags but also more attributes which extends the capacity of the classic HTML we used in the earlier editions. Such extensions includes
- Draggable elements.
- Scalable Vector Graphics (SVG)
- More input types like color, email, search, tel etc.
- Browser storage (local and session storage).
- Div tags were replaced with header, nav, section, article, aside and footer.
- Semantic tags like em and strong replaced i and b tags respectively.
Alot of new features were included in HTML 5 you can view most of the new features of HTML5 here.
How to add HTML 5 to a website.
HTML 5 can easily be added to any website of your choice. In order to start using HTML 5 tags simply add the following tag above the opening html tag of your page.
Once this is at the top of your page, HTML5 will be displayed on your webpage by any supported browser. If the clients browser doesn’t support HTML 5, an alternate text or an incompatible message would be displayed.
Advantages of using HTML 5.
Because of the new features that were added in HTML 5, I would say that there are alot of advantages it comes with. These includes
- Displaying media: prior to HTML5, the only means of displaying media on your web page was by using images or through frames. However, HTML 5 introduces the audio and video tag which enables us display audio and video directly on your website. Making it easier to describe whatever information you’re trying to pass across.
- Search engine benefits: websites built with HTML 5 tends to enjoy extra benefits from search engines. This is because of the use of semantic tags which helps the search engine understand your websites structure better.
HTML 5 was a real breakthrough in the web development world and most web developers can’t wait for the release of HTML 6 which we don’t yet know what it has in store for us.
I see you’ve gotten this far, this means you enjoyed our article and would love to see more articles from us. If yes then you can follow us on social media using any of the handles below
Also leave a comment so we’ll know what you think about this article.
Happy coding ♥️